Monday, May 27, 2013

Dream Home

As a little kid, growing up, you might have thought about what your home might be like when you grow up. Personally, I was a bit eccentric. 

I wanted to own a castle. Specifically, I dreamt of having a castle that consisted of three separate homes: Dracula's castle (in Romania), and The Addams Family mansion (from the movie). I know it seems a bit weird, but I'll explain why. 

First of all, who wouldn't want to own a castle? They're majestic and beautiful. They are also built to keep intruders out, therefore really safe. Why I picked Dracula’s castle was because of the history in the building. This is not to be confused with Bran Stoker’s castle. 

The Poenari Castle, was built in the 13th century. The castle looks like its floating high on a steep cliff. This castle is difficult to takeover, as it takes just about 1,500 stairs to climb. It is built in the hills of Romania and has a beautiful view on the country side. How this building was built, and the location is what I would want from this castle.


Sketch of Dracula's Castle before Ruins 



What I like about the Addams family house was the entrance. They had a giant door, that when opened went into a gallery, with two staircases meeting in the middle. I also liked that the house had an elevator placed in the center of the back wall. Also the fact that it had over 25 different rooms with hidden passages and secret doors, made it even more fascinating for me as a child.  I was thinking “It would be fun to play tag in the house or hide-n-seek”. The Victorian style of the exterior part of the house matches the original castle's, and allows for a home that is considered a "classic look".


So all together, what I needed as a child was a rock foundation that was placed on the edge of a cliff (Dracula’s castle) with the beauty and design of a modern Victorian home with many rooms and secret passageways and an elevator (Addams Family).  However, this was just a childhood dream. Reality has hit me with the realization of how excluded this home would be from any major city and how long it would take to find and clean all of those rooms. Maybe, in another lifetime, this can be reality too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment